How do you transform a regular guy into a god of war? Training, nutrition and sleep.
To get into shape for his role, Hemsworth faced the same challenge we all do – how to build lean muscle while burning fat and reducing our BMI.
There are two components to developing lean muscle mass and burning fat and they are high intensity training and compound exercises. With HIT you burn fat while you lift weights, provided the weight is heavy enough and you monitor your rest time in between exercises. The other trick is in choosing the right kind of exercises. Compound exercises work best, as you incorporate more muscles and burn more fat and build more muscle as a result.
Typically, when your goal is to get big and muscular, you will spend the first eight weeks of your training focusing on bulking up and exercises like the Big 3 – squat, deadlifts and bench press. Then you’ll move into a fat-burning phase of your training for another four weeks.
For the bulking phase of this workout, you will focus on lifting heavy and working to failure. With this kind of routine, reps are fairly low while the sets remain the same at four.
- Week one – 4-6 reps
- Week two – 6-8 reps
- Week three – 8-12 reps
- Week four – 4-6 reps
This kind of training is a bit like pyramid training spread out over four weeks. This four-week lifting scheme will be repeated for the second four-week interval.
Chest and Back
- Bench Press
- Bent-over Rows
- Pull-ups with a weight plate or weighted vest
- Bench Dips with a weight plate or weight vest
- Hamstring Curls
- Chin-Ups with weighted vest or weight plate
- Close-Grip Bench Press
As you move from phase to phase, your diet will also change. For the bulking phase, you will be consuming huge amounts of calories, with protein and protein supplements high on the list. As you move into the second, fat-burning phase, you will start eating more green leafy veg and fewer carbohydrates.
Here is a typical Hollywood diet plan:
- Eat high protein and supplement with protein shakes in between meals. Make sure to supplement each workout with amino acids, BCAAs and whey protein.
- Avoid sugary foods, especially fructose like that found in fruit juice.
- Primarily, carbohydrates should come from vegetable sources like sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, etc. Whole grains are also recommended. Make sure you get enough fiber by eating oat and wheat bran.
- If you train in the evening, start you day with a carb-heavy breakfast and include carbs at lunch, but after working out and in the evening, your foods should consist of protein and healthy fats like extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.
For the final fat-burning phase of this Thor workout, circuit training is your best bet to maintain lean muscle while burning fat.
Tabata Circuit (20 seconds on/10 seconds off)
- Double kettlebell squats – 4 sets
- Snatches – 8 sets
Kettlebell Circuit 1
- KB Swings – 30 seconds two-handed, 30 seconds right-handed, 30 seconds left-handed, 30 seconds alternating
- Cleans – perform pyramid sets moving from 5 reps to 1 then back up to 5 for 60 reps and no rest
Kettlebell Circuit 2
- Turkish Get-Ups – 5 minutes, no rest
- Windmills – 5 each side
Hemsworth worked out so hard for this role that he actually put on too much muscle and had to then focus on leaning out. Don’t forget that you need 7 or more hours of sleep every night to stimulate muscular growth. During sleep is when growth hormone is produced and muscles do their building and repair. When you wake up in the morning from a good 8-hour sleep, you will notice the difference.
Let’s just say that after this workout, you’ll be really, really Thor!
Originally published @ FITLODE.COM