Before you go throwing out those sexy jeans that have been hiding in the back of your closet since you brought them home from the store months and months ago, reconsider your options.
You’ll find loads of contradicting opinions online about the best way to rock hard abs. Everyone has a remedy, a workout and a book to sell you about the so-called secret. If you truly want a flat stomach, you need to make a few lifestyle changes.
1. Start by throwing out all the junk food and replacing it with healthy, wholefood options. Eliminate the whites from your diet – white sugars, white flour, white bread, white starch – get rid of all of it! Calculate how many calories you need for your body type and spread this out over 5 – 6 smaller meals throughout the day. This helps to keep blood sugars level, which keeps you feeling fuller for longer so you avoid over-eating every time you sit down to the table. If you’re trying to cut calories, following this kind of meal plan has a tremendously positive effect on your psychology – knowing that you get to eat again in 2-3 hours is much more manageable than leaving six or seven hours in between meals.
2. Include foods in your diet that have a high thermic effect. In other words, foods that burn a lot of energy in the digestion process. Include foods with a high vitamin C content like fruit. Citrus fruits are especially high in vitamin C and lemon water is an excellent way to help burn fat. High protein foods and whole grains are also a must on the menu. Spicy foods like hot peppers, ginger and cinnamon are easily integrated into most recipes and will spike the thermometer on your fat-burning potential.
3. Avoid foods that contain a lot of salt. Water retention is the number one cause for unwanted weight gain and can happen after just one meal. Cheeses, soups, processed foods, deli meats, pizza, fast foods are all high in salt.
4. Chew your food properly. Gulping your food can lead to digestive problems and cause bloating. As your chew your food, your brain monitors the number of times you chew and tells your body when you’ve eaten enough.
5. Increase your water consumption. A lot of weight gain comes from the body holding onto too many toxins. If you don’t drink enough water, you body cannot effectively get rid of this junk and fatty deposits will start to add up. Some say eight glasses of water a day is the perfect number. If you increase your dietary fiber and eat more fruits and vegetables, which contain high amounts of water, this too will help with getting rid of toxins and lead to a flatter belly.
6. Include core strength exercises into your workout that target the abdominal muscles. Use aerobic exercises that elevate your heart rate for a more effective fat-burning workout. Read Fat Burning Tips to Keep you Slim and Trim.
7. Getting enough rest is the one thing that everyone overlooks. Never underestimate the power of sleep. Even if you’re working out every day, if you’re not getting enough sleep your metabolism will slow down and you will feel hungrier during the day and are more likely to snack, cheat and go off your healthy diet.
8. De-stress to weigh less. Stress causes hormonal imbalances that lead to cellulite and the accumulation of fat, particularly in the abdominal area. Whether you need to change your workout routine to include at least one Yoga class per week or you start going to see a registered massage therapist, it will help to shrink your belly and do you the world of good at the same time.
9. Avoid excessive or binge drinking. We all know how high in calories alcohol is, but more than that, if your liver is overworked or damaged, it is ill-equipped to filter fats out of the your system and you will gain weight. Alcohol (together with smoking) slows down your metabolism.
10. Never, never, never give up. Once you’ve taken the first step towards a flatter belly and a healthier lifestyle, be patient and watch the transformation begin.
Originally published @ FITLODE.COM